The calendar shows us that spring officially begins just over a month from now. More sunlight and some warmer days remind us of how great it feels to be outside with the sun shining on us. The walking group has started moving again! But there are cold, wintry days to come and we could all use easy mood boosters to get us through the late winter. We know these good habits, but sometimes we can all use a nudge.
- Stop doomscrolling! Unplug from your devices and social media for an hour, or more. Life, at its best, is happening right in front of you!
- Daily stretching for flexibility Stretching has been shown to increase serotonin, the hormone that helps stabilize our mood, reduce stress, and overall makes us feel good. Check out this 30-minute beginner stretching video.
- Give or get a hug! One of the simplest and quickest mood lifter is to just give someone a hug. The act of hugging helps release dopamine, serotonin, cortisol and most importantly oxytocin. Hugging a loved one, a friend or even the family pet can help facilitate the release of these chemicals within the brain and give you a natural mood booster.
- Queue up your favorite playlist! Whether in iTunes, on Spotify or even on YouTube, jamming to great music is a definite mood improver.
- The best way you can boost YOUR mood is by saying something nice to someone else. Giving a compliment to a colleague, friend, or family member is an amazing positivity boost! Compliments are not only good for the recipient though, they’re good for you . When you give thoughtful and authentic praise, it amplifies your self-confidence and nourishes your self-esteem. Try it out.
- The Surprising Science of Happiness. Check out a cool TED Talk. Harvard psychologist Dan Gilbert says our beliefs about what will make us happy are often wrong. If you like the talk, check out Dan’s bestselling book, Stumbling on Happiness from your library.