The Haven is hiring for a Food Shelf & Front End Associate
Reports to: Director of Organizational Development
Purpose: The Food Programs Associate supports the operations of the Food Shelf, Food Shelf registration, and the Front End on as-needed basis to cover breaks, PTO, or other gaps in coverage. They are also charged with overseeing and deepening the initial training experience of Food Shelf and Front End volunteers.
When supporting Food Shelf registration, they are responsible for providing a supportive and welcoming environment to Food Shelf customers during the registration process, paying special attention to putting new customers at ease. They work with volunteers to ensure that registration is taking place in an efficient and trauma-informed manner with a goal towards minimizing wait times.
When supporting the Front Desk, this position serves everyone who comes to the Haven—visitors, donors, and others—by welcoming and directing them to the appropriate location or assisting them when possible. They direct callers to the appropriate staff member and handle informational calls such as hours, directions, guidance on donations, etc.
When supporting the Food Shelf, the Food Programs Associate assists the Food Shelf Manager to execute all the activities required to oversee a small but busy retail environment for food distribution. This includes stocking shelves, filling orders, and maintaining the Food Shelf in a safe and organized fashion. When assigned, they will assume responsibility for overseeing the operation of the Food Shelf.
When supporting the Cafe, this position plans and executes preparation for Grab and Go and other prepared foods. Supports Café volunteers with food preparation, food safety, and guidance.
The Food Programs Associate is also responsible for Food Shelf and Registration volunteer training including designing, updating, and periodically reviewing training materials and content so they are in line with best practices and current process. They will periodically evaluate training methods and identify gaps and areas that need improvement. They will also ensure effective communication with staff on new volunteers, including training status, areas of strengths, and any potential support needs.
At all times, the Food Programs Associate is expected to engage volunteers, guests, and staff in keeping with the Haven’s values and principles. demonstrate a commitment to working as part of a team. function as an ambassador for the Haven. and adhere to all Haven policies and procedures.
Schedule: Full Time, 40 hrs., 8:30 am – 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday with some flexing based on organizational needs
Salary: $17 – $22 per hour
- Work collaboratively as part of a cross-departmental team as well as the overall Haven team.
- Support daily operations on as as-needed basis in the Food Shelf, Reception, and Cafe.
- Orient and support Front End and Food Shelf volunteers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Two or more years of retail or hospitality experience preferred
- Can operate with a flexible, positive, and growth mindset.
- Ability to balance several activities at any one time.
- Has demonstrated sound judgement and composure in stressful and urgent situations.
- Ability to see and assist where action is needed.
- Adapt to frequent changes in work tasks.
- Able to creatively problem solve in the moment.
- Contributes to planning for operations improvements.
- Has strong organizational and decision-making skills.
- Able to offer compassionate but firm guidance to volunteers and visitors.
- Interacts comfortably with people from a wide range of social, economic, cultural, and religious backgrounds.
- Demonstrates a commitment to social action on behalf of those in poverty.
- Ability to represent the Haven in the community.
- Valid driver’s license. driving record as specified in Vehicle Use Policy (2020).
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds
- Must be able to move about to accomplish tasks
- Must be able to be on one’s feet for several hours at a time
Interested candidates can apply through this link
The Haven is hiring for a part-time Shelter Staff.
The Upper Valley Haven is seeking a part-time shelter staff for overnight (12AM to 830AM) shifts Saturday through Tuesday to provide assistance to guests & maintain shelter operations. Shelter staff are responsible for ensuring the environment is safe, clean, and welcoming. Shift work will require lifting, bending and some cooking tasks. Qualified shelter staff have education and life experience including demonstrating respect for and acceptance of people facing challenges in their lives. They work well independently and know how and when to ask for support. They are able to interact effectively with diverse populations and work well in a crisis. They have flexibility and adapt easily to constantly changing circumstances. Starting pay is $18 per hour plus a 3rd shift pay differential of $1.25 per hour. The Haven also provides a generous benefits package and opportunities for professional growth. Upper Valley Haven is an EOE, and encourages people from all backgrounds to apply. Candidates with a BA in Human Services are preferred.
Interested candidates should apply through this link