September is National Hunger Action Month!
When you drive by the Haven in September, you will see some large signs along Hartford Avenue encouraging people to “Go Orange!” The signs are part of the Haven’s awareness campaign for National Hunger Action Month in September.
Our goal is to mobilize everyone in the Upper Valley to take action in the fight against hunger. Whether it’s by sharing on social media, advocating and raising awareness, making a donation, organizing a food drive, or volunteering, individuals can find a way to make a difference.
Will you join us in speaking out against hunger? Activate your network of customers, colleagues, and employees to make a lasting impact on the lives of our friends and neighbors in need.
Here are 10 ideas:
- Coordinate a food drive for the Haven with coworkers for team building.
- Make coffee at home for a week instead of buying it at a store and donate the savings to the Haven.
- “Like” the Haven’s official Facebook page to learn more about Hunger Action Month and Haven news.
- Donate $15 to the Haven’s virtual food drive online. (Gifts of any size are welcome and appreciated!) This month, a friend of the Haven will DOUBLE your contribution to the Food Shelf, so your $15 donation will become $30! We will purchase food at a lower cost than is available to you independently, stretching your donation even further.
- Help us raise awareness by letting your friends know via social media that you are participating in National Hunger Action Month.
- Go to our website to learn more about volunteer opportunities at the Haven.
- Write a letter to the editor or post a blog about hunger in Vermont.
- Schedule a tour of the Haven to learn more about our Food Shelf and food insecurity in our community.
- Coordinate a presentation on hunger. We can help!
- Take plate selfie (see photo) and post on social media (using the hashtags #HungerActionMonth #HavenGoOrange”) to raise awareness of the 1 in 6 Americans struggling with hunger.