A new pilot program began this week at the Haven! In partnership with Dartmouth-Hitchcock, the Haven is hosting a free six-week workshop that will teach participants about self-management of chronic physical and mental health conditions like heart disease, arthritis, diabetes, depression, asthma, bronchitis, and emphysema.
Held on Wednesday evenings in the Byrne Café at the Haven, this class expects to engage people in a range of actiities, such as:
- techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation,
- exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance,
- appropriate use of medications,
- communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals,
- decision making, and,
- how to evaluate new treatments.
The program works in conjunction with other programs and treatments, and is not designed to replace them. Each participant in the workshop receives a copy of the companion book, Living a Healthy Life With Chronic Conditions, 4th Edition, and an audio relaxation CD. The program goal is to build participants’ confidence in managing their own health and living active lives.
Interested in learning more? Contact Renee Weeks at the Haven at gro.nevahyellavreppunull@skeewr or (802) 478-1820.